Plank Road Museum

 In 1997, it purchased the original Baptist Church built in 1883 from the Pilgrim Holiness Church and named it the Plank Road Museum  (Add a picture?)  This name was chosen after the plank road built in 1869 and completed in 1870 that extended from the Tittabawasee River on the west side of Saginaw to the growing town of St. Louis which was becoming well known for its curative powers at the Park Hotel and its mineral springs.  The 'Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road' became part of the M46 corridor. This 32 mile route was significant to the establishment and development of the villages of Shields, Hemlock, Merrill, Wheeler, Breckenridge and St. Louis.  This museum tries to encompass the passage of wagons and buggies to early vehicles of this bygone era.  It houses collections of early farming and lumbering tools, early stores and businesses, musical groups and an extensive military collection from the Civil War to Vietnam.